Students began the project by choosing a Keith Haring figure to replicate. They cut their shape out of cardboard, creating a front and back for their sculpture. To give the sculpture some thickness, students used strips of tag-board, rolled between the layers of cardboard. The sides of the sculpture were sealed using masking tape.
Once the sides were taped up, students could begin using the papier-mâché paste. We used a 3:1 glue and water mixture to create our paste. Students dipped strips of brown paper towel into the paste to drape around their sculptures. This was a time-consuming and messy process, but the students did a great job.
Once the papier-mâché had dried over-night, students could begin painting. I initially told students to paint the figure one color, and add a bold, black outline, characteristic of Haring's work. As students began discussing ideas to decorate the figure, I was reminded of Haring's patterns within some of his outlined figures. I encouraged students to come up with their own creative ideas for decorating the sculptures and I love how they turned out!
This has been one of my favorite OES Art Club projects so far. I am looking forward to teaching students more about Keith Haring this spring when we begin our unit on Pop Art. Check out the video below for more photos from this fun project!
To coincide with our Harlem Renaissance unit in the classroom, fifth and sixth grade Art Club students collaborated to recreate an artwork by Jacob Lawrence. Students volunteered last week during their lunch and recess time to paint pieces of Lawrence's "Library" to assemble a 4x5 foot mural.
I removed all color from an image of Lawrence's painting in Adobe Photoshop. I enlarged the image to print across 36 sheets of 8.5x11 inch construction paper. The pieces were pinned to my classroom bulletin board surrounded by figures and works of The Harlem Renaissance.
Students who were interested in participating came during lunch and recess, a total of 42 minutes. We ate together in my classroom and as students finished eating, they were encouraged to select a piece of the mural to paint.
Students used tempera paint, just as Lawrence had used. Each student had to mix paints and identify their placement based on an image of the original painting.
This activity tied in well with our classroom discussion about how the arts reflect and impact communities. The students' creation will be viewed prominently in their own community at the Oregon Public Library this month.
As we continue our study of The Harlem Renaissance, each student will create an original artwork with accompanying written story or poem as well as a personal selection of music. Each class will curate an exhibition of their peers to also display in the community.
I am very proud of how hard these students worked and for volunteering their time last week to participate. The mural looks amazing thanks to their dedication!
The students' mural is now on display at Oregon Public Library!
Mr. DeWilde's Blog
I post information about projects and learning experiences from my curriculum.